Thursday, March 18, 2010

Power on the Rise

Nneka was born in Nigeria, and at the age of 19 she emigrated to Hamburg, Germany, to follow her singing career while she was at a local university pursuing her BA in Anthropology. After meeting DJ & Beatboxer Dj Farhot. her secret to success, she has risen.
Her music reflects her life in Nigeria, but also the time period, lived in Europe. The distance from her homeland to her current city reflects in her voice, as well as her music influences. As key references, her compatriot Fela Kuti, Bob Marley the Reggae lend, and recent rappers such as Miss Lauryn Hill, Talib Kweli, Mobb Deep and Mos Def.

I was introduced to Nneka in late 2006, by a friend who lives in Germany. Since then I've researched about Nneka, about her life, her story and her music. I've found myself, listening to her music non-stop. I've learned to embrace her lyrics as part of my reality. Her voice is so angelic and rustic, that I've recommended her music to other people.
Before, she became well known in the US, she had fans all over Europe, and her mother country Nigeria.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Carinho & Criticas: